This is a work in progress, as most of my stuff is, but here is my Assessment Philosophy for the 2011-2012 school year that I’ll be sharing with students and their parents.
Some key new features I’m trying:
- student blog posts will receive only feedback, not grades
- the spreadsheets I used last year will be editable by both myself and the student for each to add comments
- students will create portfolios of their work by selecting and analyzing their best evidence of learning
- portfolios will be organized and assessed using standards-based criteria
- the only letter grades used will be assigned when portfolios are assessed at the ends of grading periods
Some things still to work out:
- format the Google Spreadsheets for record keeping of comments listed by standard -or-
- try out Shawn Cornally’s BlueHarvest?
Feel free to leave suggestions for improvements/implementation in the comments and please snag a copy for yourself if you want to borrow any of it.